Friday, April 2, 2021

I Woke Finding Myself Remembering Dear Friends ....

Photo of Rose Hips near the Swinomish Social Services building.
Currently I enjoy being in a Baha'i study class on Thursday evenings from 7-9:00. Last night the Vine Delorea, Jr. Symposium coming up in May was mentioned by a group member. Waking this morning, I searched the web site. In the process I began viewing past years speakers. I came across a talk by my dear friend Larry Campbell. I believe it is important in terms of understanding how to reach out and listen and learn and ask questions of our indigenious families and community members regarding the teachings of our ancestors. Today at this time I want to respectfully acknowledge Larry's wife and my dear friend, collaborator and spiritual sister, Faith Campbell. Faith was insturmental in inviting me to help establish the Samish Tribe Longhouse Preschool in Anacortes. Faith is from the Klamath Tribe in California. She has now passed away and I miss her deeply. Her husband Larry Campbell, Swinomish, gives healing, hope, and wisdom for our young ones and for those like me who are life long learners. Humbly I thank both Faith and Larry for the years of quiet lessons shared. I have updated this writing honoring the passing Larry Campbell. He passed away February 6, 2023. Link to Larry's talk Northwest Indian College’s 14th Annual Vine Deloria jr. Indigenous Studies Symposium Relationships, Reciprocity, Rights, and Resistance “Redefining natural resource management as relatives.” May 17th and 18th, 2019. http://www.nwic.edu/faculty-staff/vin...

No comments:

Post a Comment